Monday, December 24, 2012

The Next Big Thing

Big Thanks to Shannon Lee L. Pacaoan for tagging me in her Next Big Thing post.  The Next Big Thing is a network that allow writers the opportunity to share a completed project or work-in-progress by answering a set of questions. Today, I’ve decided to share about my music!


Where did the idea come from for the book?
Since I have been super busy with Drama Therapy school at CIIS, I haven't had time to work on any of my 3 unfinished novels.  But I have been working on making comedic and socially conscious hip hop music.  I know that makes me sound like a d-bag, but that's okay.  What can I do?  Anyhoo, my good friend Mark and I have been been making music under the moniker Beat Salad .  So far we've only posted a fake diss song on our folk singing banjo playing friend Kelly McFarling for "dissing" New York, and an homage to the radio show Radio Lab.  We've got lots of stuff in the pipe line.  Some battle raps, a song about garbage, the elusive meaning of hip hop and the meaning of life.  You know, regular topic for rap songs.  

Where Did The Idea Come From For Your Book?

I first fell in love with rap music as a teenager and never really stopped.  The genre helped me get to know and accept people unlike myself.  Please tell the right wing media I never emulated gangsta rap or became violent.  Instead I thought and thought about poor people, black people, men, women, and my effect on them and their effect on me.


What genre does your book fall under? 
Definitely rap!  I don't take thing too seriously so we have lots of funny songs, some social commentary, and some stories.


What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Andy Samberg, Jon Krasinski, or Tina Fey.


What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Hip hop smoothed out on the comedy tip with an electronic feel appeal to it.


How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
We haven't posted anything in awhile but lots of things in the pipeline.  2 songs in 2 years?  Yes.  8 more songs this year?  Possibly.


Who or what inspired you to write this book?
2pac, Lonely Island, and 90's hip hop.


What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
We have fun, love 90's music, and I reference Toni Morrison sometimes.


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
self produced.

My 5 writers for next Wednesday are writers as well as filmakers, artists, houselovers, and travelers:

Chrystene Ells

Jessica Harvey-Taylor

Jen Amenti

Samantha Chanse





No comments:

Post a Comment