Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Introduction to My Philosophy

I have decided to take note of my philosophy.  This is not because I believe it to be amazingly original.  In fact, it draws from many sources, most notably neuroscience, cognitive therapy, Buddhist principals of mindfulness, physics, Nietzsche, the fiction of Dostoyevsky, Kafka and Sebald, the music of Guthrie, Dylan and Van Zandt.  Many of these ideas are not wholly, or even partially my own, coming from many deep conversations with my close friends, my fiance, and my family.  Finally, as the largest inspiration and altogether life changing experience, I must note my time working with children and adults with Autism and other developmental differences.  All of these have shown me that there is no one right and true way to look at the world, and if there is, we as humans don't know it.

But never fear!  If you are one to believe the word of God lies within one or more of the sacred texts of the earth, there will still be ideas and stories of interest to you, and possibly much of how we view the world is the same.  Our nation has become polarized by religion and political parties, highlighting what separates us rather than what binds us.

This book will also not be a new age synthesis of everything, a synchronistic view of the world, or a hippy-layman mentioning ideas that interest him.  Everything mentioned has been researched, discussed and double checked.  That said, this book will not be merely a love letter to science at the experience of the magic in the world.  In many ways, science is as much as belief system as religion, but it governs itself very differently.  The more I learn of the sciences that attempt to explain things, the more amazing our world seems, and the more our ignorance becomes injustice.

(this and the next blogs may be published someday, but will all most likely undergo revisions)

2 comments:

  1. I'm ready for more. more more more. more please. my brain taste buds have been whetted.

    ReplyDelete