Monday, May 2, 2011

Justice

I had a few different feelings when I heard about the death of Osama bin Laden at the hands of SEAL Team 6.  I felt relieved and a little giddy, but also strange, as if I shouldn't be feeling too good at the death of someone, even ObL.  Not because I felt bad for him, but for us, all of us, those that died that can't be brought back, those who lost loved ones, and all of us here, who still feel good when an eye is taken for an eye.  I have tried to have acceptance for everything and everyone, not to make excuses and say it's okay, but to accept it.  I mean that in the sense that terrible thing are real, they happen and are happening, instead of "I wish that didn't happen I don't want to think about that happening."  I have tried to have compassion for everyone, no matter what, because when we start using our emotions to decide who we should have compassion for and who we shouldn't, that's when people start committing genocide.

So I've got all my ducks in a row to hope for bin Laden's capture and trial, even if emotionally maybe I'd rather he just be killed.  Still, I never imagined he would be captured.  Some people are so hated, so reviled, so wanted for vengeance, that one must accept that they will stay hidden or be killed, with nothing in between.  I have the strange feeling that bin Laden was one of those cases, and even if I can somehow have sympathy for him and those harboring him, and on some level hope he could have been captured alive, I feel like to impose that on others is a stretch.  I do hope we can all have sympathy for all things, for the reasons mentioned above, but I think, right now, we live in a world where vengeance is just a little stronger.  What I mean to say, and it is difficult to find the words, is that my philosophy of compassion must make room for the compassion for those who want vengeance.  Thoughts?

2 comments: